Friday, June 1, 2012

Building again...for Barbietown



Yes, I'm back to building again for Barbietown, and had this design in my head for a while when I was in Norfolk , Va last week for Ladies of the Oriental Shrine of North America for our yearly Grand Council. Our chairity we support is the Shriners Children's Hospitals and I work closely with them. It was fun, but quite busy. When I had a few spare moments I decided to sketch out some 1:6 ideas and this was one I wanted to experiment with.
I have been fascinated with the idea of using Builder's foam to make room scenes and dioramas with for a while now. There is a person on Flicker who build a whole 1:6 Barbie dollhouse of it-
Click Here  This goes to their Flicker album, so far she has added walls and doors. I liked how she primed it white- their builder foam was originally blue vs. pink, but either will work.
I used 1/2 inch thick builder's foam from Home Depot, and Liquid Nails Clear to assemble my little shop. The windows are long slim dollhouse 1:12 scale windows that work well with Barbie scale and the door is from Houseworks - the 1:6 crossbuck door. (warning- this door is not exact Barbie scale, it fits Shorty Barbie, Madame Alexander, Skipper, Staci, Francie, well, but is not tall enough for Silkstones, Fashion Royalty and so on. ) However, I like its look. I already need to order a few more of these doors, so placing that on my list.
One thing that happens Is I may start with a general plan when looking at my props, and when it or the structure, comes together, it sometimes wheels in another direction altogether. I was thinking of making this a little coffee shop or bakery. I have a counter with cash register and another counter that matches it, but they take up alot of room in this little structure. I was wondering if a little quick stop coffee/latte shop with the Re-ment bakery case full of croissants and such would not be better, or even a Mickey Mouse one based with all the Mickey Mouse Re-ment I have- I have the Mickey Mouse table and chairs. I also have a Mickey Mouse Barbie with actual Mickey Mouse ears that would look cute behind the counter too. After I experiment a bit with some furniture placement, I will have more of an idea of what this little shop should be. I was even thinking of a dress or shoe shop as well, since it is small. Right now, I am leaning towards a candy or bake shop.
Enjoy the pics- more to come!~Lisa

No comments: